Camp Gaulke

Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Trimester...check



So I promised that I would update on my pregnancy...even the weird stuff....and there were some weird things that happened to me..


...apparently because of the hormonal tsunami that was occuring in my body.


So here we go:



  • I started to shed worse than a golden retriever...it was insane. I would literally pull handfuls of hair from my head at any point in time throughout the day. Eventually it became like a really disturbing party trick...

  • My sense of smell increased 1000%. I began smelling things that no human should be allowed to smell. This is actually one of the HUGE red flags that made me even take a pregnancy test to begin with. I am not a good smeller normally at all...and to be honest I don't know if that was really all that bad ;)

  • My gums became SOO sensitive. My toothbrush became like barbed wire to my poor gums. My whole mouth would just throb for hours after I brushed my teeth.

  • Brushing my teeth made me throw up...honestly, because of this and the aformentioned incident, I contemplated not brushing my teeth for a while. My doctor said I had to ...but it was horrible. Even to this day I throw up every single morning when I brush my teeth. EVERY MORNING. It has become part of my morning routine. I think that it will just be how it is for the next 6.5 months...but really I hope not.

  • I had INTENSE food aversions to anything considered meat: poultry, beef, pork...anything. If you even said the words: steak, hamburger, chicken breast...I would gag...and possibly throw up on the spot...I am not kidding..it happened. THE WORST! was stupid food commercials...grossssss. Like especially Burger King..or Dairy Queen..I would have to mute and look away if any of those commercials came on and displayed their gross meaty meat sandwiches..Luckily, this symptom is getting a little better.

  • If I did not get 8 hours of sleep or more...I would be sick all day. It did not fail. Thank goodness I had several weeks this summer to sleep as much as I wanted. On the rare occasion that I would have to wake up early or not get as much sleep at night.. I would feel awful and throw up a lot.

  • I threw up a lot...sorry if that is gross. But I did....my sweet Hunter would hear me and just rub my back. I told him that was gross to be in the bathroom with me...but he insisted..saying "if you have to be in here, so do I".. LOVE that. On one occasion, after we went and spent a weekend at a bed and breakfast (I did not sleep well at all), we were driving away and I told him that I was NOT going to make it to a gas station and the he needed to pull over. He did...and that poor poor side of the road didn't know what hit it. As I was completely emptying my tummy, I heard Hunter chuckle beside me. ..When I was finished I managed to ask "what the heck could be so funny right now"...and he then proceeded to tell me that my "throw up sound was cute"...Now that ya'll is love.

  • I became an idiot. Sometime people would talk to me...and I had no idea what they were saying. It's like my mind was not allowing their words to stick. I would forget what I was saying in the middle of my sentence. I would get severe ADD...oh yes, and Hunter's favorite...I would make up words. I would take a word and just add or subtract some letters...and make a new word. For instance..instead of "pigeon hole"...I would say "pin hole"...Instead of "surging"..I would say "sorging"...and Hunter never let me slip one past him ;)

But with all of those things that made me miserable...or made my husband laugh hysterically...we are truly blessed so far with a healthy little bean :)


I call it a bean because of our last ultra sound experience...the baby moved the entire time! Just back and forth and moved its head up and down in a nodding motion. We got to see all of the little body parts: brain, spine, heart, arms and little hands, legs...and little face!


We are hoping that they will be just as mobile at my next appt so that we can see the gender :) I cannot wait for that!


I will try to keep you update on more of the happier things from now on...but if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms...you're probably pregnant ;)


love love.



3 comments:

The Vann's said...

Yay for getting through the 1st trimester. Thankfully my pregnancy with my twins was a little easier than with Eden - but reading your post reminded me of exactly what I went through with E. Ok this may be TMI but so funny. One day I felt like I was feeling better so Nick suggested we get out. We decided to stop by Sonic on the way to my parents house to swim. At Sonic I got a blue Powerade drink. About half-way to my parents I screamed for Nick to pull over. Nick also chuckled at me but not b/c my puking noises were cute (mine are like from a horror film) but b/c he thought it was funny that my throw-up was blue. As we were leaving the street to head back to my parents house - we noticed the street name was Blue Falls. NOT LYING!! Isn't that so crazy???
-Carissa

Hunter and Ashleigh Gaulke said...

That's HILARIOUS!! It's good to hear your pregnancy with the twins was better...cause I swear I may not be able to watch T.V. with my next one...or at least fast forward through the commercials :)

Alicia said...

Soooo.... you missed 2nd trimester and are now almost out of your 3rd trimester (meaning he's almost HERE!)... you better get on your blog, girl!! We'll expect MANY more updates once Asher is here! :)